Make an enquiry

Court of Protection & Lasting Powers

The Office of the Public Guardian (previously the Court of Protection) deals with situations where individuals are unable to manage their own affairs and they have not legally appointed anyone else to do so. We believe that everybody should be free to choose who will manage their property and financial affairs if they are unable to do so themselves. This could be for any number of reasons such as mental or physical incapacity, or due to an absence abroad.

In these situations, Lasting Powers of Attorney have replaced Enduring Powers of Attorney as the way of delegating this decision making. It’s a highly complex area of law and one in which no two cases are the same. This is why it is essential to consult a specialist to draft such documents so your assets are protected. 

For those who don’t have either an Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney but need help in managing their affairs, we can advise on an application to the court to appoint someone.